Step into purposeful play
The physical literacy approach is an evidence-based approach built on the understanding that if we develop strong movement patterns when children are really young then they will carry these with them for life.
The Hackney Physical Literacy programme engages the range of EYFS providers including PVI’s childminders and schools.
It supports the development of a healthy body and healthy mind, links EYFS learning outcomes with Public Health priorities and has a particular emphasis on obesity reduction and supporting children’s confidence, physicality and emotional wellbeing.
The approach is play based and built around individual children’s motivations, the physical activities they have chosen which encourage challenge, risk taking and resilience.
The Hackney Physical Literacy programme consists of:
- Pre session reading and simple observation task
- 1 half day group training session
- 1 bespoke site visit by a Physical Literacy Consultant to support you to implement your identified actions
- A second half day group session – an opportunity to share and celebrate with others the impact the programme is having in your setting
- Support to complete a short case study
We will provide you with a free comprehensive resource pack to support planning, assessment and resourcing in your setting.
Get in touch
If you are interested in accessing the programme, please complete the application form.
Useful physical literacy resources
- Physical literacy intent
- UK physical activity guidelines
- Early Movers - helping under 5s live active and healthy lives
- WHO guidelines on physical activity, sedentary behaviour and sleep
- Sports Wales - Physical Literacy Film
- Moving, Learning and Growing Film
- Physical Activities Guidelines for Under Fives
- International Physical Literacy Association
- Sport England - attitude towards sport and physical activity
- Youth Sport Trust - early years physical literacy framework