This anthology fills a much-needed gap in the educational experience of today’s secondary pupils, with its focus on a richly diverse range of texts to promote critical thinking. From Andrea Levy to David Almond, from Angie Thomas to George Orwell, and from Alex Wheatle to ZZ Packer, pupils are offered challenging material by renowned authors writing about issues important to the world today. Accompanying material, both within the book and available online, encourages pupils to explore the texts from a range of critical standpoints. Perfect for English lessons, Citizenship, PSHE and tutor time. The publication includes nine specifically developed critical literacy cards: ‘identity’, ‘freedom’, ‘tolerance, rights & respect’, ‘justice’, ‘diversity & community’, ‘democracy’, ‘equality & responsibility’, ‘change & action’, ‘power & control’.
The anthology enables teachers to:
- Provide literature to challenge, entertain and inspire
- Develop critical reading skills
- Engage young people with real world values
- Plan activities to use with each short story or extract
- Read singly or in thematically linked clusters