Effective reading provision is based on an a good understanding of how children read and understand. Hackney Learning Trust’s reading moderation support provides an effective framework for assessing reading and understanding through hearing children read and discussing what they have read using age appropriate texts.
The questions and prompts included in the pack help to engage the child in a discussion about a book where they may be more likely to demonstrate independent reading behaviours and engagement through teacher response, rather than only answering specific questions. Also included, are videos of children reading and responding which can be used as benchmarks for your own children’s performance.
Our moderation pack can be used with all your other evidence about how children are progressing and enables schools to build up a whole picture of a child reading and use this accurately to make a judgement about their progress and any further support required.
The KS1 and KS2 Reading Moderation package includes the following:
- A full set of videos for every year group of children reading and answering questions related to the text and their own reading behaviours
- A full set of scripts (clean and edited) for every year group to support primary schools in moderating the standard of their pupil’s reading (the videos link to the scripts so teachers can see how to question children)
- Examples of additional evidence of a child’s reading progress and achievement
- A full set of books and text extracts
- Guidance on implementing the package and using the materials
Training is available to support the implementation of the package. Training is priced separately.
Hackney is highest performing local authority in the country in each of the core subjects of reading, writing and maths at Key Stage 1.
Department of Education (DfE) data, September 2016