This reading programme, acknowledged as the ‘best in the country’, delivers expert literacy support for the lowest attaining children. A trained Reading Recovery teacher delivers one-to-one support to ensure children make accelerated progress.
We offer post-graduate training for experienced infant teachers who have leadership potential.
- an initial meeting for Headteachers
- three full assessment and preparation days including the selection of children
- 18 bi-weekly half-day training sessions with live lesson observations
- visits with children to the Reading Recovery Centre
- six in-school coaching visits to develop effective and responsive practice
- secure data systems and storage and an in-school data report.
Once trained, teachers receive ongoing support and are affiliated to the Institute of Education. Our annual training programme includes:
- eight half-day continuing professional development sessions with live lessons as a focus
- up to four individual coaching sessions in school across the year.
90% of children in Hackney who completed the Reading Recovery programme in year 1 achieved level 4 or higher in literacy outcomes at the end of Year 6.
Data from 2013-2014
"Hackney is highest performing local authority in the country in each of the core subjects of reading, writing and maths at Key Stage 1."
Department of Education (DfE) data, September 2016