This service enables schools to ensure that safe working practices for the storage and use of radioactive materials are in place, in accordance with CLEAPSS guidance ‘L93 Managing Ionising Radiations and Radioactive Substances in Schools and Colleges’, January 2013.
This flexible service, can be extended with bespoke programme covering teaching and learning with radioactive materials, as well as specialist areas such as disposal of radioactive substances.
- Initial visit to check school compliance with safe working practices for radioactive materials
- Report for head teacher and head of science with clear recommendations
- Advice and guidance for school radiation protection officer/Head of science on safe storage and usage of radioactive materials
- Ongoing advice by email/telephone if required
- Follow up visit to support the implementation of recommendation
Benefits to schools:
- Ensures the statutory requirements and guidance for storage and handling of radioactive materials are met
- Minimises risk to students and staff
- Advice and guidance from a qualified radiation protection advisor